Friday, April 7, 2017

Curse the Snow! Let's Celebrate Spring Strongsville!

Meet Sarah Barford..
My name is Sarah and I'm a piano teacher in Akron Ohio. I have a great husband, a 1 year old son, and 3 dogs. I started selling fun accessories for dogs in 2011. At first it was handmade dog sweaters, which evolved to dog bandanas and collars. In 2016 I added matching leashes.

What inspires me? My dog, Mocha. I wanted to help with animal rescue but didn't have the money to donate, so I started selling my crafts as a way to raise money for rescue. I learned to sew after grad school so I could make accessories for my dogs.

I discovered my talent through trial and error. For instance, I'm not good at sewing anything with stuffing... When it comes to my creative process, I look for fabrics with bright colors and small patterns, so they'll look good at 1 inch or 1/2 inch wide.

My five year goal.. With a bigger selection of collars, leashes, and bandanas, especially for the holidays.
The message behind my works is that there are plenty of animals out there who just need a loving home. We who already own pets and spoil them rotten can help by purchasing accessories from which some proceeds go to a greater good.

Make sure to stop by our booth this weekend! I'm going to have a selection of matching collars and leashes: Purple damask, blue with stars, and blue with baseballs. I'll also have whatever stock is ready at the time, including many different bandanas that slip over the collar, and some dog toys too!

Meet Rosanne Rosenberger from RSquared Limited Edition.. 
Banker by day; beader/crafter by night!  Long time Cleveland area resident.  Married; two grown children. Lovin' life, this will be my third Avant-Garde show!
 


I've been crafting since I was a small child.  I remember making Christmas ornaments when I was six or seven.  My mom still uses them on her Christmas tree!   My dad would buy me different craft kits at the craft store in the mall. With these kits I taught myself how to do many crafts.  Many of those skills come in handy with the different jewelry techniques I use.  I have been seriously beading for about five years.  I started with wire wrapping (took a class) and have experimented with many other techniques since then.
 
Everything around me inspired me to create.  My children.  My husband.  My beautiful dog Senga.  Nature.  Flowers.  Being at our boat on Lake Erie. Everything I see and read.  I'm kind of eclectic in my jewelry making.  Today I might be into leather or paracord and tomorrow resin or crocheting.  
 
How I got into my craft.. When I started making jewelry for myself (or as gifts) people would comment on the woven bracelets or crocheted necklaces that I wore. They liked it, admired it, asked me to make them one with custom colors or materials.  It's been fun experimenting! 
 
My creative process.. The ideas are plentiful.  I come up with an idea, gather the materials, adjust until I have laid out what I want do.  Combining color theory with breaking the rules seems to fit my process!
 
My five year goal.. Creating Jewelry is a hobby for me.  I suspect it be that until I retire and that is a ways off.  I bead for family and friends.  I sell at Advant-Garde shows.  Beading is a stress reliever for me - come home from a hard day at work and there I am, at my beading desk, exercising my creative side!
 
The message behind my work is that anything is possible; have fun with it.  That's what I love about doing a custom piece for someone - Your really get to be creative for that one person, possibly in a way you might not have otherwise without their input.   I have broad interests and I try all sorts of things regularly.  I don't like to stick to one technique so my work varies.  

Meet Barb Hubert from Eagle Wings Art..
Hi, my name is Barb Hubert and I am a retired Cat Scan Tech for over 4 years now and I was lost!  I was looking for a purpose and hobby after I retired, and I thought I would try watercolor, because I’ve always loved these paintings.  After just 1 year with a friend/teacher, I took off and now after only 4 years and never painting a day before that, have over 300 + original watercolor paintings, plus prints of my paintings and print blank notecards.  
I feel this is a gift that God has given me, so I give back to Him!  40% of my profits go to help, The Cleveland Pregnancy Center or the Bible League Int’l.  I love painting, using different mediums, like real leaves, salt, saran wrap and anything else to make my paintings different and unique!  I love to experiment!  I am inspired by all of nature around me, and I marvel at the works of God! I, always, always have a painting in process, usually 2 or 3!  You will find birds, animals, owls, landscapes, children’s art, florals,  modern and abstract art , plus I will have new and beautiful spring and summer birds and floral paintings!
Look for new spring note cards,  and even some bunny art and note cards in time for Easter!  I've started a new section to my art, which I call, “Scripture Options”, with some of my paintings including gold with black plaques inscribed with inspirational scripture!  Ask me about them!

Make sure to visit me at the Strongsville Avant-Garde Show!
Hope to see you there!

Meet Danica Stout from Crochet by Stout...
I’m Danica Stout, and I have hereby proclaimed myself CEO of the business Crochet By Stout. (keeping a little sarcasm in my work never leaves me with a frown) I am 31 years old, a wife and the mother of our amazing 3 year old son. 
I started crocheting way back at the age seven, when I asked my grandma to teach me. It was only last year however, that, with support and encouragement from friends and family, that I decided to go into business for myself. 
I draw inspiration in the fun activities and hobbies that my family enjoys. We are truly a family of geeks. My son does a particularly amazing job providing me with inspiration. “ Mommy, you should make a ninja turtles coffee cozy. Mommy, you should make a Finding Nemo hat. Mommy, will you make me a dinosaur hat?.......”. 
I love my family and my work, and If there’s one thing that I have learned since I went into business, it’s that you need to be making something because it’s fun to do and you love it, not just making something because people will buy it. And that’s exactly what I plan to do….for a long time to come.  Live long and prosper.

2017 Strongsville Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, April 8, 2017
Strongsville Ehrnfelt Recreation Center
18100 Royalton Rd.
Strongsville, OH 44136
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment