Friday, November 15, 2019

Strongsville Crafters Coming Your Way!

Meet Sharon Gerchak of Pet Portraits by Sharon...
My name is Sharon Gerchak, I am married with one son, retired and am 76 years old. I have lived in, or around Cleveland all my life.  I have been drawing since I was old enough to hold a pencil. I took art at school and went to Cooper School of Art after graduation. I did a mail-order course (kind of like on-line but through snail mail) and after I retired I went to Tri-C for two terms. I now do acrylic, watercolor, colored pencil , pastels and pen & ink.

I have never done an Avante Garde show before, in fact, this is only the third show I have done. I love animals, and I love to draw them.  I started drawing horses when I was about ten and have progressed to all kinds of animals, even an Iguana.

I retired a few years ago (about 10) and had lots of time on my hands.  I took a few art classes and started painting.  Then I did a picture of my dog, who was getting old.  I was glad I did, because he died a few years later. But, now I have his picture on my living room wall and feel like he is still with us. The same thing happened with my cat.  They are up there, side by  side, even though they never met each other. I love being able to see them and remember all the good times we had.  This made me think about my friends and their pets and started painting them too.

I go to a lot of craft shows with a friend, and we have never seen anything like what I do and she suggested I try it.  So, I am.  There are a lot of people who have fur babys that might like a picture to remember them by when they pass away.  A picture on your phone is fine, but a painting on the wall is even better.

In 5 years I hope to still be doing what I love!


Meet Caroline Lawrence of Crochet by Aunt C...
Hi, my name is Caroline Lawrence. Over the years, I have crocheted gifts for people at the holidays, but I never found anything I could do year-round. Then a few years ago, I saw a sign in a pet store about an animal rescue looking for dog coats and I thought, "Hey, I can crochet dog coats." Well it turned out that the rescue was asking for dog coats not for their rescues, but for dogs whose owners were having financial and housing problems.
Suddenly, my crocheting dog coats went from, "Hey, I can do that"  to, "Wow, I need to make coats that are warm, thick, adjustable, washable, and very sturdy." I also made them pretty and colorful because my philosophy is that having financial problems doesn’t mean you can’t have something nice. 
I still donate my dog coats, but suddenly my friends, co-workers, and their friends wanted me to make coats for their dogs. Then my god-daughter, who is much craftier that I, mentioned selling her crafts at a craft show. So here I am with my dog coats and coordinating scarves (because what dog wants to be seen walking with an owner wearing a scarf that doesn't match his or her coat) about to participate in my first Avant-Garde Art & Crafts Show. Joining me with her intricate ornaments and enticing cat nip toys is my god-daughter.
As for our inspiration, both of us are inspired by colors. When I’m shopping and slowly drift to the yarn department, it’s all of the beautiful colors that get my creative juices flowing. I am also inspired by the cold weather. My dog is not fond of cold weather. When it snows, he gives me a questioning side eye as if to say, “You work from home, why do we live someplace cold?” He has an impressive wardrobe of coats as a result.

Meet Denise Sutak of Designs by Denise, Just Beads...
I retired from corporate America in January 2017.  Now, my days are filled with volunteer work for the American Cancer Society (I drive patients without rides to their appointments), visiting the Cleveland Metro Parks and working on creating jewelry pieces.
I actually started crafting in my 20s when my neighborhood held art and craft classes for children during the summer months and I was always there. I had to put it aside as my children and marriage took precedence.  I took it up again once I retired. I love jewelry and believe it should be worn all the time. I believe fine pieces can be mixed with artsy pieces.  Jewelry should enhance your mood and make you smile.
I decided to start selling my jewelry when one day I made a piece of jewelry, wore it, and received many compliments.  So, I decided to give it a try.  My creative process involves putting the right colors and enhancements together comes from nature.  It takes a while to put together just the right feel.
This will be my second Avant-Garde show and I hope the attendees see from my work that my jewelry is fun, simplistic, and goes with everything!

2019 Strongsville Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday & Sunday, November 22 & 23, 2019
Strongsville Ehrnfelt Recreation Center
18100 Royalton Rd.
Strongsville, OH 44136
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN




No comments:

Post a Comment